Photo of my and signup.

Photo of my and signup.
If you want to subscribe to follow me via Mail Chimp, the signup is in my sidebar or at the bottom of my posts.

Monday, August 24, 2015

Something pretty this way comes....

Here's a sweet little shabby "pretty" that I made the other day. I just wanted to share it with you.  If you're a seamstress, you may have made the radiant star design before. This is much like the radiant star design, and NO SEWING!


Voila! ........ my "shabby chic" ornament..... to festoon my Christmas tree, or any little knob or hook waiting to be presented with something pretty (and pink!).


And how did I make this you say? Well..... no sewing required! That's the first good thing about this project. The other thing is that it's FUN... and you get to use fabrics from your huge fabric stash. Here's the video tutorial by Shabby Fabrics that I watched on YouTube, to learn how to make one of these cute ornamental decorations. 

You just use little 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 squares of fabric (40 squares), either from a jelly roll or from your overflowing scrap stash.... lots of little straight pins (very small head, called satin pins) and a 3" styrofoam ball. Note: use a regular styrofoam ball, not a Smoothfoam ball, as the Smoothfoam is very hard to push the pins into. That's it! Easy peasey. 

You can see the points of the fabric around the top. In each point, there is a little pin stuck in. I glued on the lace and glued on some little pink "fork bows". If you haven't tried a fork bow, go to YouTube and search and you'll find many tutorials. They are so much easier than trying to make a tiny bow! 

My ribbon hanger is a sheer ribbon, with another pink bow. I also added some little pink strands of beads.

This shows the size compared to my hand. Also, I put some lace around the middle instead of ribbon, and put the bow and hanger on top rather than along the side (my mistake... and I just noticed! oh well.. this was my "practice" piece. If you watch the tutorial, you'll see that the "star" design is supposed to be on the side, not the top.)


The above photo is the full design of the little folded squares, which form the star. Normally (if you don't make a mistake like I did!), this design will show on the SIDE of the ornament as it hangs..... not on the top and bottom where it is kind of hidden. 

It's a little time consuming to make this, but sit and watch one of  your favorite movies on TV, and pin away! No iron needed... just your finger and alot of pins. I finally dug out my old thimble, as my finger got a little sore punching those pins in the styrofoam. 

I'm off to start another one, this time using Christmas fabrics... or hum.m.m.m. maybe another shabby one. I love it!

Hope you give this a try. Let me know if you do and send me an email with a photo. They would make great gifts.... and besides...........they're addictive!

 photo Blogsignature2smallersizeforblog_zps20ad3d10.png

2 comments:

  1. Marilyn, this is so pretty! It's so feminine and girlie. I do love me some pink! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do love my pinks too... and lace... and ruffles... and all that yummy stuff. Marilyn

      Delete